Transaction Check Error

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Sat Sep 9 02:21:09 UTC 2006

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Christopher Stone wrote:
> Transaction Check Error:   file /usr/share/man/man6/worm.6.gz from
> install of xscreensaver-extras-4.24-3.fc5 conflicts with file from
> package bsd-games-2.17-10.fc5
>
> Do we currently have any way to check for these?

  Yep!  I wrote a script yesterday and ran it against the FC5 tree.  Today
I revised it, and ran it against the FC6 tree.  I've passed the results on
to Christian Iseli (of the QA SIG), and discussed a few things with Jesse
Keating.  Not much progress yet, but I've had useful data for less than a
day.  (For the record, FC6 is in WAY better shape than FC5 was, but we've
still got a ways to go.)

> And how do we resolve which package gets to own this file?

  The package owners battle it out in a fight to the death.  This gets
complicated if the same maintainer owns both packages (but then, they
should have noticed the overlap, shouldn't they?).
  Honestly, no idea -- sounds like a matter for FESCo!  (Sorry guys!)

      Jima