We are evaluating building packages from Fedora Extras for RHEL

Parag N(पराग़) panemade at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 03:47:02 UTC 2006

Hi,
On 9/10/06, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 13:17 +0100, Paul wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > >  = The name question =
> > >
> > > We don't have a proper name for this effort yet. The "codename" until
> > > now was Enterprise Extras (EE) (it is used in this document in several
> > > places due to the lack of a better one), but we are currently evaluating
> > > other names. There were several suggestions:
> > >
> > >  * Fedora Extras (e.g. no special name)
> >
> > Problem with having Fedora in any of the proposals is that despite
> >- Fedora being a recognised "brand", the Extras is known to be a community
> > contributed area with none of the QC that goes into the paid for product
> > - for example, say any of the mono packages in FE goes wrong, the report
> > usually ends up on my intray. I'm just some bloke, sitting behind his
> > Linux boxes in his house extension, but with a full time job and full
> > time family to contend with. I doubt any company worth their salt would
> > want to use (say) Monodevelop without someone from RH being able to
> > support the product - I know my former boss wouldn't even entertain such
> > an idea.
> >
> > Now we all know that the support from anyone involved with FE and FC is
> > the best there is anywhere, but the linking of a commercial product with
> > something just added on may not entice many folks.
> >
> You have a different vision for Enterprise Extras than we have been
> discussing so far.  What we have been discussing really is Fedora Extras
> rebuilt for RHEL/CentOS/etc.  We aren't making additional guarantees to
> the consumer of the packages about the suitability of the packages for
> running on their servers (except that we will be supporting the packages
> for the increased lifetime of the CentOS/RHEL distro.)

  So is there any preliminary information about which RHEL version is
decided fo rebuilding all FE packages for RHEL? I mean there are
currently RHEL 3,4,5 with various updates that mean totally if i am
correct 13 version in all present of RHEL.
  And how can i solve then dependencies problem if i decide to rebuilt
my FE package for RHEL3? RHEL is known as stable product because it
always contains old but stable packages from upstream releases. So how
can we solve dependencies problems like if some packages need latest
or newer version of dbus or hal for any FE packages?

Regards,
Parag.