Would like to import CORE into Fedora (naming problem)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Sep 14 04:03:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 19:42 -0700, Chris Weyl wrote:
> On 9/13/06, Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael at gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 23:43:35 +0200, Denis Leroy wrote:
> >
> > > But yeah, probably not worth the effort. I don't see much wrong with
> > > having /usr/include/CORE around either...
> >
> > Except that the name is very generic and hence short-sighted.
Agreed, it's very short-sighted, because "CORE" is not unlikely to
conflict with "core dump files" on certain systems or with "CORE-files"
an OS provides.

> Isn't that an upstream issue?  Do we have an actual conflict in /usr/include?
Not ATM, but do we have a conflict
on /usr/include/LINUX, /usr/include/LOST+FOUND, or /usr/include/NFS? No.

That's the problem behind of complaints on "generality in file names",
it's a matter of perspective, taste and foresight.

Ralf