Initial Proposal for doing Enterprise Extras

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 17:35:41 UTC 2006

On 9/21/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've waited until now to reply because I've thought about this
> suggestion for a while...
>
> smooge, thx for your suggestions!
>
> Stephen John Smoogen schrieb:
> > I would like to suggest the following plan for Enterprise Extras:
> >
> > 1) There are 4 channels per {Scientific/Centos} Enterprise Linux
> >      extras
> >      extras-devel
> >      extras-testing
> >      extras-updates
> >
> >    [proposed naming convention: extras-2el, extras-3el, extras-4el, extras-5el]
>
> The idea is nice, but I think this is going to be much to complicated.

It is probably too complicated, but I have not seen a proposal that
would be useful for an enterprise environment that is not complicated
:/.

What does someone who is running an enterprise environment want from "extras"

A) Transperancy of the methods of how a package is created,
maintained, qa'd and pushed into production.

B) That the level of testing would meet what someone who is running
mission critical apps have a level of trust.

C) That if a package is broken, how is it broken, why is it broken,
and who/when is fixing it.

Basically if I am subscribing to a repository for my systems.. I want
to know that it is NOT going to cause my mail cluster to stop
recieving emails at 2 am because someone pushed out the brand-new
release from squirrel-nuts.org of a perl module that had a side effect
but no one bothered to test it before it hit extras.

Enterprise level extra packages are definately where I would want
someone like Ralf keeping an eye on things. You do not want a package
monkey "Oh I wanted VOCP for our paging system.. so here is it for
Enterprise Extras.. if it breaks.. keep all the pieces." [This is
where the packager gets a 'polite' email from Ralf saying please try
again in the way that only Ralf can.]