repo layout for EPEL (Re: Initial Proposal for doing Enterprise Extras)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Sep 24 15:36:07 UTC 2006

Thorsten Leemhuis schrieb:
> But as I said: I thinks it's to complicated. So I put up the
> following up for discussion - it's just and idea, I'm not really sure
>  it it doable (or worth realizing):
>
> Two devel repos for now:

I've thought about this some more; I think it's to complicated as well.
So how about this layout:

testing/el4/
testing/el5/
el4/
el5/

testing/el{45}/ (and later 6789...) -- All new packages goto here
normally. Testing will use a rolling release scheme. Repo depends on the
corresponding el{45} branch. Repo gets into a feature freeze round about
two (four?) weeks before each {RHEL|CentOS} dot release update (4.4 ->
4.5 or 5.0 -> 5.1) and packages get copied over to the stable repo when
that dot release gets published.

el{45}/ (and later 6789...) -- stable branch; contains the packages for
{RHEL|CentOS}{45}. Packages are locked down there and only get updated
for security reasons after they were tested in testing for two (?)
days.

Opinions?

BTW, I know that I bring the much hated "testing" repo into the
discussion again with this idea. But we afaics need support for in in
the buildsys (and/or somewhere else) in any case when Core and Extras
"merge". Or does anyone want to use brand new kernels that weren't in a
updates-testing repo for a while?

CU
thl