repo layout for EPEL (Re: Initial Proposal for doing Enterprise Extras)

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 16:37:29 UTC 2006

On 24/09/06, Tom 'spot' Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> The idea of a "testing" repo doesn't work. Very few users want to be a
> guinea pig, even fewer enterprise users have time to be a guinea pig. It
> will get virtually no use, and when you move it from "testing" to
> official, and it still is broken, you're going to have mislead users
> into thinking that some sort of formalized QA process occurred.
>
> User> Hey, why didn't this work right? It went through "testing"?
>
> This is pretty much why we dropped "testing" repos from Fedora.

I think the testing repos are still there for Core.

Although they don't get heavy testing, they still get some. Also, they
seem to be very useful during bug fixing - I've sometimes seen package
maintainers say "please try the updated version in updates-testing to
see if that fixes this bug". It'd be good to still have that.

J.