Permanent page reference for packages

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Sep 25 12:43:21 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth schrieb:
> José Matos wrote:
>> Hi,
>> 	recently in the lyx-devel list there was a request for a url regarding lyx in
>> different linux distributions.
>>
>> 	The outcome was more or less this:
>>
>> * [[Debian -> http://packages.debian.org/lyx]]
>> * [[Gentoo -> http://gentoo-portage.com/app-office/lyx]]
>> * [[SuSE -> \
>>     http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/suselinux/lyx.html]]
>> * [[Fedora Core 5 -> \
>> http://fedoraproject.org/extras/5/x86_64/repodata/repoview/lyx-0-1.4.3-1.fc5.html]]
>>
>>   Is there any generic link for packages like the other distributions above?
>> If not, what needs to be done for Fedora to have one?
>>
>>   It would be interesting, if it is not done, to have a single place for Core
>> and Extras packages.

We had planed a web-interface for this purpose. Work on it never really
started. We need one in the longer term, but somebody acutally has to to
the hard work designing and implementing it.

> Another option open to packagers to to create a wiki page for their
> package; some have already done this:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CategoryPackages

Yeah, and I don't like that mess. We IMHO should create a proper
"namespace" for this (e.g. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packages) and
put all the packages with their proper name below that (e.g.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packages/mail-notification )

CU
thl