pan orphaned - willing to volunteer for maintainership

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Mon Sep 25 18:02:25 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 19:51 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Hi fellows,
>
> the Pan newsreader - http://pan.rebelbase.com/ - was so far maintained
> by mpeters and is now since 2006-09-19 on the list of orphaned packages
> - http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/OrphanedPackages. To not
> loose this piece of software from the pool I would jump into it, if
> nobody else is interested.
>
> Pan in the devel branch of CVS is version 0.99, which means it is from
> the upstream side beta / complete rewrite tree, dated May 28, 2006. FE5
> and FE4 both ship the stable upstream release 0.14.2.91, not touched in
> upstream since Jan 24, 2004.
>  From my point of view I can not judge whether the Pan upstream
> development will fix bugs and extend functionality to release the 1.0
> within the next 6 weeks. Though the Pan site states for the latest beta
> release from August 18, 2006:
>
> "Compared to previous weeks, this is a very incremental relase. 1.0 is
> just around the corner..."
>
> Question:
> What should be done? There are 2 possible routes I see:
> a) Keeping the beta / development upstream and doing a pan FE update
> rebuild from 0.99 -> 0.113.
> b) Increasing the epoch to get the same stable release version of FE5
> and FE4 into devel / soon to be released FE6.
>
> This is a call for votes - especially by those of you using Pan.
>
> Regards
>
> Alexander

I use pan quite a bit and the 0.99 version is much better than the old
one as far as memory consumption is concerned. I've not really
encountered any bugs but I only use it for reading. I would hope that
for at least fc6, you use the 0.99 branch. I've rebuilt your rpm for FC5
and it seems to work fine there as well.

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |