New comps group proposal: audio-production

Christian Iseli Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Thu Sep 28 09:34:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:02:28 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 11:17:35AM -0700, Anthony Green wrote:
> >
> >     <_name>Sound and Video</_name>
> >     <_name>Audio Production</_name>
>
> I may not be qualified, but it seems to me that if an application fits well
> into an existing category (which is the case here) we shouldn't add more
> category. There are certainly some categories missing and allready many
> categories, so I think that new categories should only added when packages
> cannot be categorized.

I think what we should keep in mind is that categories should make
sense for a user looking for some category of applications.

On the one hand we shouldn't slice it too thinly because then it's not
a category anymore.

But too broad is bad too.

I tend to agree that producing audio/music is somewhat different from
consuming/copying it...

If you look closely, you'll notice we already have pretty appropriate
categories for things like software development.  But development of
other things is not so well categorized imho...

CHF 0.02...