Patents != patents ?

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Fri Sep 29 08:37:55 UTC 2006

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:

> I would ask the patent holders if they can explicitely allow Fedora
> redistribution of vtk if it is deemed a viable modus by fedora
> (legal?).

Which license is vtk under? If it is BSD-like I understand the issue, but
if it's (L)GPL the license text says it implies that the authors give a
royalty-free license of their own patents for anyone using the code under
the (L)GPL, and this is actually quite common I think, and then there is
no issue, we (all (L)GPL software) already have a license for the patents.

Linus