Pulse audio?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 29 15:43:01 UTC 2006

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> What happens if you create the directory /tmp/pulse-sundaram?  (This
> isn't the solution but I think it led me to realize something -- My /tmp
> is a tmpfs so I would have to be creating it in a startup script
> everytime which isn't the case.)

# mkdir /tmp/pulse-sundaram
mkdir: cannot create directory `/tmp/pulse-sundaram': File exists
bash-3.1$ pulseaudio
main.c: WARNING: called SUID root, but not in group 'realtime'.
main.c: Failed to create '/tmp/pulse-sundaram': Operation not permitted

> Are you running esd or artsd?  Maybe that's locking the device files or
> the esd socket (so pulse can be compatible with all the esd consumers).

Yep. So I killed esd.

# pulseaudio
main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system
is specified).
module-gconf.c: Unable to read or parse data from client.
module.c: Failed to load  module "module-gconf" (argument: ""):
initialization failed.
main.c: Module load failed.

It gets struck here.

So then

# pulseaudio --system
main.c: Failed to find user 'pulse'.

Packages really should be reviewed for functionality too.

Rahul