Pulse audio?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 16:52:43 UTC 2006

> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>

> > What happens if you create the directory /tmp/pulse-sundaram?  (This
> > isn't the solution but I think it led me to realize something -- My /tmp
> > is a tmpfs so I would have to be creating it in a startup script
> > everytime which isn't the case.)
>
> # mkdir /tmp/pulse-sundaram
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/tmp/pulse-sundaram': File exists
> bash-3.1$ pulseaudio
> main.c: WARNING: called SUID root, but not in group 'realtime'.
> main.c: Failed to create '/tmp/pulse-sundaram': Operation not permitted

Remove the /tmp/pulse-sundaram directory and see what new errors you
get.

> > Are you running esd or artsd?  Maybe that's locking the device files or
> > the esd socket (so pulse can be compatible with all the esd consumers).
> >

> Yep. So I killed esd.

Ah.  So this is probably the root of the problem.  Did you try as a
normal user again?  Maybe pulseaudio leaves files strewn about after
this kind of failure (such as the pulse-sundaram directory above).  I
know pulseaudio will startup for me as a normal user so that's probably
the route you want to take for initial debugging.

In any case, if this troubleshooting doesn't fix things then you should
file a bugzilla ticket so the packager can diagnose the problems and
kick anything relevant upstream.

-Toshio