should clamav-data package supersede clamav-db ?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Tue Apr 10 17:38:23 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 11:55 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> MS> While there were some changes that needed to be made in configs,
> MS> etc, it wasn't tragic.
>
> It's pretty damn tragic if your running installation happens to break
> because the maintainer happens to push an update on the weekend you're
> out of town.  You simply cannot require manual intervention for a
> simple update.  F7 can get the new version.
>
> Really, Enrico's doing the proper thing here.  The only complaint I'd
> make at the moment is that he's left in the "Your installation is
> OUTDATED" message that I get in my logs every day.  But unless there
> are unpatched security issues in the stable release, I just don't see
> what the fuss is about.

Jason,

The issue is:

1. As far as I can see, unless you can point me to it, the latest
version of clamav is not in any of the relevant repos targeted for F7.

2. This means that you will have to deal with this clamav upgrade post
the F7 upgrade and face the same issues that you would face now on FC6
relative to config file breakage.

3. There are comments and pointers to scripts in the Bugzilla report
that I referenced, by me and others, relative to at least possible and
reasonable 'automated' upgrade processes during the RPM installation
procedures. As far as I and others can tell, Enrico seems to be
resistant to even exploring and testing these as possible options.

4. Take note of this post by Luca Gibelli of ClamAV a month ago,
relative to the burden being placed on their signature update servers by
users of versions prior to 0.90.x:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.virus.clamav.user/25389

There are compelling reasons to upgrade beyond security patches and
related considerations.

Regards,

Marc