libmtp soname change breakage (was: Re: Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2007-02-07)

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Thu Feb 8 08:21:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 18:45:29 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> On Wednesday 07 February 2007 14:38, Fedora Extras repoclosure wrote:
>
> > package: amarok - 1.4.4-1.fc5.i386 from fedora-extras-5-i386
> >   unresolved deps:
> >      libmtp.so.2

> Linus, was the soname change of libmtp announced somewhere in public
> beforehand?  Why was it necessary push the update to non-devel distros?
> Apologies if I missed the announcement, but based on the above list of
> breakage I'm not alone even within Fedora maintainers, let alone elsewhere.

I've investigated a bit and have found #221114, where this was planned,
albeit half-hearted. ABI breakage in stable branches ought to be announced
on maintainers-list.

And it should be possible to prepare all packages in CVS and let one
maintainer submit all build jobs.

Further, notifying the extras signers about builds that are expected
to break deps, if not pushed as a complete set, is highly encouraged.
It would not be much work to enhance the pushscript with a bit of code
that excludes build results based on src.rpm names.