libmtp soname change breakage (was: Re: Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2007-02-07)

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Thu Feb 8 13:40:30 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> co-maintain them, give other maintainers privileges to rebuild the
> packages when all agree upon such step?

Yes if I was to do this today I'd say we both make everything up to "make
tag", then I shouldv'e waited for the next release mail and after that
build first the lib then both dependencies as soon as that build is
confirmed.

> Having a build-system which requires maintainers to "give explicit
> clearance before a package is being pushed to the public"?

Yep, the programming equivalent is a "race condition"... I we had e.g. a
webpage where you can confirm your (and others) builds to be pushed, we
could have spent a week building this lib and its dependent apps, then
pushed all of them in batch, breaking nothing.

I believe this is what e.g. Debian use the "unstable" and "testing" repos
for... Hm, and I was against that at one point, now I will reconsider that
stance.

Linus