using non-standard optflags (-O3, in particular)

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Feb 8 21:47:37 UTC 2007

I'm working on building calc, a math package, for Extras. Upstream says:

   There is a slight performance advantage with -O3.  We have some
   users who run very long calc computations (on the order of months of
   CPU time). So even slight advantages are useful. Between your EMail
   message and this one, we received a plea from one of those massive
   computation calc users to keep -O3.

Given the nature of the package, this seems reasonable. Is there a
standard mechanism for overriding part of optflags like this?

Upstream also would prefer -g3 -- is there a problem with that?