sdcc - Cross Compiler, Needs Packaging Standards?

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Feb 23 21:34:47 UTC 2007

glibc.src.rpm 15.6MB
gcc.src.rpm 39MB

Hans de Goede wrote:
>    b) *** Warning dirty hack ***
>       Test for the existence of the tarbal in RPM_SOURCE_DIR in %prep
>       and if it isn't there bail with a message howto get the tarbal
>       from the srpms for the native packages. We can use the sources

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com//repo/dist/glibc/glibc-2.5-fedora-20061008T1257.tar.bz2/
6aa114e3cde495c267ff8a6e55b90bec/glibc-2.5-fedora-20061008T1257.tar.bz2

The files are available if you know the exact URL, which is possible to
figure out from the CVS module of the original SRPM and hash.

>       file and the look-aside cache to make the test for the tarbal
>       succeed on the buildsys. Advantages: saves tons of diskspace.

Right, this is not problematic at all to our own buildsys.  This might
be a useful optimization for other cases.  For example, where plugins
need the original source tarball to build.

>       Disadvantage: slight inconvienience for people trying to rebuild
>       the srpm's manually. Large inconvienience for people doing
>       automated rebuilds (aurora for example)

This need not be inconvenient for manual builders and other automated
rebuilds.  We only need an evil auto-downloader, but make it disabled by
default.  Then manual or automated rebuilders can choose to enable evil
by setting an environment variable $AUTO_GRAB_SOURCE if they want to
automate it.  Otherwise it tells the user exactly what to do.

BuildRequires: auto-grab-source

%prep
%setup -q
GRAB_SOURCENAME=glibc-2.5-fedora-20061008T1257.tar.bz2
GRAB_HASH=6aa114e3cde495c267ff8a6e55b90bec
GRAB_NAME=glibc
auto-grab-source $GRAB_NAME $GRAB_SOURCENAME $GRAB_HASH

The pseudocode of this tool
===========================
if file exists and matches hash
   return 0
else
   if $AUTO_GRAB_SOURCE == true
      attempt to grab
      verify
   else
      display instructive error message about what to do
   fi
fi

Is this too evil and ugly?

Is this evilness worth avoiding 50MB+ of extra .src.rpm for all mirrors
to throw around?

I don't have any opinion either way.  This does not effect our own
buildsys, or anybody else building packages directly from CVS.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com