using non-standard optflags (-O3, in particular)

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Mon Feb 26 23:41:12 UTC 2007

Matthew Miller wrote:

> How about I include a specific benchmark test in build section that runs
> for, say, a minute, and then use that to auto-select between O2 and O3 on a
> per-build basis? :)

As a compromise, you could supply both in the same RPM, or even split
off the -O3 version into a subrpm with some sort of suffix to
distinguish it from the 'default' -O2 version.

eg:

/usr/bin/someprogram       (-O2)
/usr/bin/someprogram_O3    (-O3)

IIRC i've seen similar things done in the past, for example where it
might be advantageous to supply both an OpenGL version and a non-OpenGL
version. Coincidentally I had to deal with a package for another repo
where upstream used -O3 by default and the resultant binary was horribly
unstable but -O2 was fine.

--
Ian Chapman.