rpms/lesstif/devel lesstif.spec,1.4,1.5

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Jan 3 13:00:50 UTC 2007

On 03.01.2007 13:57, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 22:33 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
>>> Patrice's Obsoletes *only* hits the last known *Fedora* releases of
>>> openmotif-devel, by carefully using versioned Obsoletes.
>> Wrong, he obsoletes all openmotif versions below a certain version,
>> comprising older ones.
> I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree at this point.  I consider
> what Patrice is doing perfectly justified/ok, and fail to understand
> your problems with it.

My 2 cent: What Patrice is doing now is IMHO the best for the current
situation -- I tend to think that we should not leave software lying
around on peoples hard disk that is not supported/shipped by us anymore (¹).

But Ralf has a point: if the users got openmotif from somewhere else
and/or wants it to stay installed it should be possible. But I don't see
how we can easily solve this dilemma in a acceptable way for both sides
with the current tools (e.g. we would need a better rpm/yum afaics).

CU
thl

(¹) -- it might confuse yum updates and might have security problems
that won't get fixed because the package is not in our repos anymore.
That a general problem that also applies for packages that get orphaned.
We probably need a meta-package that obsoletes them *or* document that
probably in the release notes.