About missing reviews

Christian Iseli Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Mon Jan 1 23:26:59 UTC 2007

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 12:48:31 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Can (or will) the new shiny package database contain a 'last reviewed'
> field?

Yes, there will be a "reviewed" field, with a date, the ID of the
reviewer and a URL pointing to the review

> We could sort on that and go thru the list from oldest to
> newest.

Yup

> I don't think thats a very good idea personally... If a re-review of a
> package shows problems, why not file them as bugs? The maintainer can
> explain why they might not be real bugs, etc.. also as a bonus this
> could show a package that could be orphaned due to lack of maintainer
> response.

I tend to like the bugzilla way too.

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 11:07:41 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> If you really really want to do this, we should really really take a
> very hard look at toolizing some of the review process, as has been
> mentioned before. The more specific policy items we can script checks
> for the less manpower we will need to burn on re-reviews.  Granted not
> everything that needs to be reviewed can be toolized or scripted, but
> certainly specific policy item that have evolved over time could be,
> like the python-abi defines, or the setting of the Fedora-Extras
> Category in desktop files.

A few tools could help.  I was semi-daydreaming some sort of exploded
review entry in the package database, where each must/should item has
its own entry, date of checking, who did the check, that sort of
thing.  It sounds darn heavy-weight, but on the other hand, new
must/should item could be checked individually when new packaging rules
are devised, and some of them could be checked by tools like you
suggest...

> I believe re-reviews would have value, but without new tools in place
> to script some of the checking  we will continue to be too manpower
> poor for this to be worthwhile compared to other work.

Agreed.

> In the meantime, if a lack of a review trail for fedora.us era
> packages is blocking the ability to spin-up new and interesting
> downstream projects as Jesse suggests, then its worth doing something
> about that now since there is an additional payoff other than general
> cobweb removal.

I did some heavy trimming of my missing_review list, removing packages
appearing before July 2005, and also attempting to remove packages
resulting from name changes.  I now have this short list of 82 packages
that appear to be recent, but where I can't find the review ticket.  I
already tracked one to a typo in the review ticket summary field.  If a
few kind souls have a little spare time, they might lend a hand to
help further shrink this list.

I guess we'll soon need a lore-master... telling us the story of
packages old and new... sounds like a fitting time of the year to tell
stories that start with "Once upon a time" :-)

Cheers,

----
andreas bawue net	dd_rescue
andreas bierfert lowlatency de	koffice-langpack
andreas bierfert lowlatency de	koffice
andreas bierfert lowlatency de	libetpan
bdpepple ameritech net	galago-filesystem
bdpepple ameritech net	telepathy-filesystem
cgoorah yahoo com au	kadischi
dakingun gmail com	exaile
danken cs technion ac il	tetex-fonts-hebrew
denis poolshark org	NetworkManager-vpnc
devrim commandprompt com	python-psycopg2
dm mensa se	initng-ifiles
enrico scholz informatik tu-chemnitz de	gif2png
eric tanguy univ-nantes fr	qucs
extras-orphan fedoraproject org	alacarte
extras-orphan fedoraproject org	at-poke
extras-orphan fedoraproject org	gstreamer08-python
extras-orphan fedoraproject org	lirc-kmod-common
extras-orphan fedoraproject org	lirc-kmod
extras-orphan fedoraproject org	roundup
extras-orphan fedoraproject org	thinkpad-kmod-common
extras-orphan fedoraproject org	thinkpad-kmod
extras-orphan fedoraproject org	v2strip
green redhat com	ladspa-swh-plugins
hamzy us ibm com	sblim-cmpi-devel
hamzy us ibm com	sblim-testsuite
hamzy us ibm com	sblim-wbemcli
hamzy us ibm com	tog-pegasus
jamatos fc up pt	fftw2
jamatos fc up pt	pyparsing
jima beer tclug org	bwm-ng
jnovy redhat com	nedit
jonathan underwood gmail com	emacs-common-muse
joost cnoc nl	fpc
jspaleta gmail com	gpodder
j w r degoede hhs nl	dia
j w r degoede hhs nl	worminator-data
lmacken redhat com	python-formencode
lmacken redhat com	python-paste-deploy
lmacken redhat com	python-paste-script
lmacken redhat com	python-sqlobject
luya_tfz thefinalzone com	gdesklets
matthias rpmforge net	liboil
ndbecker2 gmail com	filelight
ndbecker2 gmail com	uncrustify
orion cora nwra com	python-numarray
paul all-the-johnsons co uk	gconvert
paul all-the-johnsons co uk	gtksharp
paul all-the-johnsons co uk	lib765
paul all-the-johnsons co uk	libdsk
paul xelerance com	gaim-otr
paul xelerance com	libotr
petersen redhat com	ddskk
pnasrat redhat com	splint
qspencer ieee org	ufsparse
rdieter math unl edu	uw-imap
somlo cmu edu	argus
splinux fedoraproject org	gdmap
splinux fedoraproject org	glipper
splinux fedoraproject org	gstm
splinux fedoraproject org	pessulus
steve silug org	perl-Unix-Statgrab
tagoh redhat com	apel
tagoh redhat com	Canna
tagoh redhat com	kasumi
tcallawa redhat com	compat-wxPythonGTK2
tcallawa redhat com	pam_pkcs11
tcallawa redhat com	perl-Class-Accessor
tcallawa redhat com	perl-Class-Whitehole
tcallawa redhat com	perl-DBD-SQLite2
tcallawa redhat com	perl-UNIVERSAL-exports
tcallawa redhat com	perl-UNIVERSAL-moniker
tcallawa redhat com	stripesnoop
thomas apestaart org	libannodex
thomas apestaart org	libcmml
thomas apestaart org	liboggz
thomas apestaart org	mod_annodex
tscherf redhat com	libpreludedb
ville skytta iki fi	xemacs-packages-base
wart kobold org	iwidgets
yufanyufan gmail com	audacious-itouch
zing fastmail fm	mmv