using debian patches directly

Hello,

When the debian patcheset don't interfere with the upstream package (that is
it only installs files below the debian directory), I generally include it
in the package, and, for example use the manpages. Sometimes there are also
interesting patches. I can copy them and use the usual Patch: and %patch,
but it duplicates the patch. Would it be right to call patch directly on
the file in the debian patcheset, or would it be a bad idea?

--
Pat