inotify-enabled apps [was: inotail]

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Jan 4 00:56:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 18:01 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 12:49:48PM -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
>  > Florin Andrei wrote:
>  > > Anybody planning to submit inotail to Extras?
>  > >
>  > > http://distanz.ch/inotail/
>  >
>  > Hmm, that's not the only inotify-enabled version of a major application,
>  > it seems.
>  >
>  > http://incron.aiken.cz/
>  >
>  > 1. About
>  > This program is the "inotify cron" system. It consists of a daemon and a
>  > table manipulator. You can use it a similar way as the regular cron. The
>  > difference is that the inotify cron handles filesystem events rather
>  > than time periods.
>
> That sounds bizarre. Why would it need to poll for file changes at all?
> It would be more logical if crontab(1) told crond that modifications were
> made after it gets run.

Dave, I believe you misunderstood. This is not actually a cron
replacement. Instead, it allows you to trigger actions on filesystem
modifications. E.g. we could get rid of all the ugly
gtk-update-icon-cache calls in package %posts and instead have incron
monitor /usr/share/icons/* and trigger the icon cache update in that
way.