Re: inotify-enabled apps [was: inotail]

Matthias Clasen wrote:

Dave, I believe you misunderstood. This is not actually a cron
replacement. Instead, it allows you to trigger actions on filesystem
modifications. E.g. we could get rid of all the ugly
gtk-update-icon-cache calls in package %posts and instead have incron
monitor /usr/share/icons/* and trigger the icon cache update in that
way.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took so long for someone to come up with an incron equivalent. inotify is incredibly powerful, I thought we were going to see a massive amount of apps starting to use it immediately.

Yes, instead of all those ugly hacks, the OS could provide an /etc/incron.d/ where some apps could drop a file and let incrond do the heavy lifting. Actually, like in your example, the OS could provide an /etc/incron.d/ preloaded with the obvious stuff.
Pretty much like /etc/logrotate.d/ or /etc/cron.d/

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/