inotify-enabled apps [was: inotail]

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Jan 4 01:02:43 UTC 2007

Matthias Clasen wrote:

> Dave, I believe you misunderstood. This is not actually a cron
> replacement. Instead, it allows you to trigger actions on filesystem
> modifications. E.g. we could get rid of all the ugly
> gtk-update-icon-cache calls in package %posts and instead have incron
> monitor /usr/share/icons/* and trigger the icon cache update in that
> way.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took so long for someone to come up with an
incron equivalent. inotify is incredibly powerful, I thought we were
going to see a massive amount of apps starting to use it immediately.

Yes, instead of all those ugly hacks, the OS could provide an
/etc/incron.d/ where some apps could drop a file and let incrond do the
heavy lifting. Actually, like in your example, the OS could provide an
/etc/incron.d/ preloaded with the obvious stuff.
Pretty much like /etc/logrotate.d/ or /etc/cron.d/

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/