Followup to FESCO meeting: firefox dependancy tracking.

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Fri Jan 5 17:07:44 UTC 2007

Let me first preface this by stating very clearly: Firefox is NOT a
devel environment.  It will NEVER be one.  There is a -devel package
only because there is no other choice at the moment.  There is no
supported way to use a gecko build environment from upstream until
XULrunner 1.0 is released.  Every package that attempts to build against
Firefox is doing so at their own risk.

Having said that, every package in Core which needs to has always had an
explicit versioned requires (except for the packages in FC6 GOLD which
was an unfortunate regression, but long since fixed).  See the latest
epiphany/devhelp/yelp RPMs for how to do the dependencies (I'm not sure
how they got in your list of non-versioned deps unless you looked at FC6
GOLD).

So, the real question is now: do we want to continue to allow more gecko
based applications into fedora at all?  There is no real build
environment for it, and it works only as a side effect of hacking it up
to work for yelp, really which we need and is in core.  I'd like to say
no if we can help it.  Things like esc have no business using gecko,
IMO.  Using gecko just opens up the package maintainer to a world of
pain, which I also have to face, but I'm being paid for it at least.  It
is a negative experience for the maintainer to have to rebuild things
all the damn time.