A new utility to augment yum - machine cloner

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Jan 10 15:30:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 10:27 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 07:18 -0600, Jon Ciesla wrote:
> > I'm encouraged by the discussion so far.  Seth, I must admit I did little
> > detailed research into yum modules beforehand.  Can you point me to
> > documentation?  Can they be called remotely?  If not, I could at least use
> > them to eliminate the os.system() calls on the local end.
>
> They're not documented terribly well in any external documentation, but
> the pydoc docs are a good place to start from.
>
> 1. drop the use of ssh from your util that should be handled outside of
> it
> 2. have your util have a source and dest mode.
>
> in the source mode it generates a file documenting what's on the machine
> in the client mode it reads that file and makes the current system look
> like the contents of the file.
>
> that simplifies what you have to do a good deal and you can leave the
> data transport of the file up to the user.

or, alternatively, implement this:

http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/useful-scripts/yum-system-sync.txt

I wrote that up some months ago and just never got a chance to do it.

Maybe even consider starting from this code:
http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/useful-scripts/dupes-cli.py

as a nice place to begin with.

-sv