About missing reviews

Steven Pritchard steve at silug.org
Fri Jan 12 22:23:34 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 07:50:23AM -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> If memory serves, at one point in time, there were two different apps
> called ddrescue and dd_rescue.

Right.  The ddrescue package that was brought over from fedora.us is
really dd_rescue:

  http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/

It still lives in the ddrescue directory in CVS
(http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/rpms/ddrescue/?root=extras), but
the spec is now named dd_rescue.spec, and the generated package is
named dd_rescue.

There's also GNU ddrescue:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

Obviously it is inspired by dd_rescue (and probably dd_rhelp, which
probably should be a separate package, and not rolled into the current
Extras dd_rescue package), and while I think dd_rescue is the better
tool for the most part, I'd like to see both in Fedora.
Unfortunately, the current mess with the CVS directory names and the
broken Obsoletes in dd_rescue.spec mean someone has to do some work
before that can happen...

Steve
--
Steven Pritchard - K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc.
Email: steve at kspei.com             http://www.kspei.com/