Re: About kernel updates: Extras and Core

Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
Hi,

I have been suffering a problem when there is a kernel update: My gpsca*
packages are being removed from my system due to dependency problem,
because there is no matching gspca package in atrpms
(http://www.atrpms.net/dist/fc6/gspca/) for the new  kernel.

That is bad, since I will have to wait until atrpms catches it up,
rebuilds the package for new kernel , etc. Until then, I can't use my
webcam or I have to make my own rpm. A regular user won't do that, and
may not reinstall webcam module again...

The solution could be pushing people that builds packages against kernel
for building new packages 1-2 days before the new kernel package is
announced. I don't have a better idea for now.

You can also convince a packager to create a dkms-based version of the package, so you'll never have that problem again.