Question on what to do with optional module

Josef Whiter josef at toxicpanda.com
Wed Jan 24 20:59:22 UTC 2007

Hello,

A package that I maintain, geany, can use vte in order to have a
terminal in the editor.  Now geany loads it by using the equivalent of
dl_open() on the library and then loading the symbols manually.  I
recently patched geany to link in vte so it did not do this and then
submitted it upstream.  Upstream rejected the patch, stating that they
do not want geany to be dependent upon libvte, hence the dl_open()
method of loading libvte, and that I shouldn't need vte-devel during the
building of geany as its not required at build time, its optional at
runtime.  So my question is this, should I leave the package as it is
now, where it compiles in vte support, or should I remove vte-devel from
the BuildRequires, fix geany so it will load fedora's libvte it ships
with the vte package and make vte a Require?  Geany will run perfectly
fine without vte, so I'm wondering what the appropriate course of action
would be for this situation.  Thank you,

Josef