Question on what to do with optional module

Hello,

A package that I maintain, geany, can use vte in order to have a terminal in the editor. Now geany loads it by using the equivalent of dl_open() on the library and then loading the symbols manually. I recently patched geany to link in vte so it did not do this and then submitted it upstream. Upstream rejected the patch, stating that they do not want geany to be dependent upon libvte, hence the dl_open() method of loading libvte, and that I shouldn't need vte-devel during the building of geany as its not required at build time, its optional at runtime. So my question is this, should I leave the package as it is now, where it compiles in vte support, or should I remove vte-devel from the BuildRequires, fix geany so it will load fedora's libvte it ships with the vte package and make vte a Require? Geany will run perfectly fine without vte, so I'm wondering what the appropriate course of action would be for this situation. Thank you,

Josef