garbage-collector.rpm ? (Was: Re: Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2007-03-03)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 17:00:44 UTC 2007

On Monday 12 March 2007 12:50:00 Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Is it even possible to "forcibly remove a package" in all cases?

No, not in all cases.

> What is
> when a 3rd party package requires the orphan? There would be broken deps
> in the transaction test, and the upgrade to the garbage-collector pkg
> would fail until the 3rd party repo adapts the orphan and updates it.

But it would fail in a way that is probably not obvious, and tossing the
garbage-collector package into the mix forces an issue where there may not be
one now, nor any time soon in the future.

> In a similar way, not removing orphans results in brokens deps, too.

Potentially.  Just like not removing packages that didn't come from our repos
could potentially lead to broken deps.

> Are mandatory "release notes", which contain a list of orphans and hints
> on how to clean up a system prior to a dist-upgrade, the way to go?

I certainly think a release time wrapup of orphaned packages is good, as well
as more documentation surrounding a dist-upgrade be it via yum or via
anaconda.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora