python-basemap packaging

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri Mar 23 21:55:23 UTC 2007

I'd like some advice on how to handle a change to the way python-basemap
upstream has changed its packaging.

Currently we have two SRPMS:

python-basemap
python-basemap-data

The later is a big noarch package containing the data files for
python-basemap (low, medium, and high resolution maps).  Since
python-basemap does not work without it, it is a requirement.

Now, upstream has bundled the low and medium resolution maps with the
main package, and ships basemap-data-hires with just the high resolution
maps.

Also, there is a very large (14MB) examples directory that is currently
shipped with the main package, which I'm going to make into a subpackage.

So:

1) I could put it all under python-basemap, with examples and data-hires
subpackages and drop python-basemap-data.  But then we loose the noarch
for the data.

2) I could rename python-basemap-data python-basemap-data-hires and no
longer have it a requirement.  Not sure about upgrade paths though.
Should it Obsoletes python-basemap-data so that it gets installed by
default so people who have been using the high res maps don't have to
all of a sudden install a new package?

3) Strip the data (and possibly the examples) out of the tar ball and
keep the same packaging (though possibly adding a new noarch examples
package).  Don't really like this.

Thoughts?

--

Orion Poplawski