[Fwd: Font issues (mkfontdir & friends not getting run) with F-8]

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Nov 19 21:39:56 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-17 at 08:36 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
[snip]
> > Fontconfig doesn't store cache files in the directory anymore.  They go
> > in /var/cache/fontconfig.  That's been the case for a while.
>
> Ah, then the packages also should no longer ghost fc-cache in the fonts dir.

No, they shouldn't.

> >> As for the other two not being created, well that is to be expected if the
> >> necessary packages are not added to any Requires.
> >>
> >> Why are these files generated on install anyways, I understand this used to be
> >> usefull back in the days when multiple packages would install files under one
> >> dir, but isn't it so that most font dirs now only contain fonts from one package?
> >
> > I don't understand.  When are you suggesting they should be generated?
>
> At package buildtime, and then simply include them in the package
> instead of %ghost them and generate them with scriptlets.

Interesting.  Never thought about it like that.  However, there are a
few reason why that's not going to work:

  - fc-cache (and similar tools I assume) don't handle DESTDIR.  You
sure can force them to do it, but it needs considerable effort on the
packagers side.

  - fontconfig cache format/version changes over time.  Mostly in a
compatible way, but still making old caches useless.  This happened with
the recent 2.5 for example.

  - Kind of rewording of the previous item:  We're trying to make font
packages not depend on fontconfig.  Would be kinda weird to install a
fontconfig cache file without checking fontconfig version.

I don't think cache updates are hassle enough to try to fix them right
now.

Obsolete core-protocol fonts are out of my expertise/interest so I leave
that to others.

> Regards,
>
> Hans

Regards,