[Fedora-fonts-list] freefont

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 15 18:34:52 UTC 2007

On 10/15/07, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> Le Lun 15 octobre 2007 16:21, Máirín Duffy a écrit :
> > Hey,
>
> Hi Máirín,
>
> > It seems if I install freefont, it sets itself as the default font
> > system-wide in X & GNOME - it's quite ugly though, and it's thin so it
> > makes my terminal and my messages in thunderbird difficult to read.
>
> Freefont is not very appreciated by font designers. It was real hard
> to convince everyone DejaVu was not another Freefont to blacklist in
> the first years :)
>
> > Is there something with freefont's packaging that sets it to be the
> > default font on install?
>
> While I don't like some parts of the Freefont spec it does not include
> anything fontconfig-related (if you use the official
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=4785 fedora
> package).
>
> Something else has changed your fontconfig priorities, or your
> fontconfig version dates is inheriting the Debian choice of putting
> Freefont first (and then installing the font activates the priority)

The default fonts.conf file that comes with the fontconfig package
places Freefonts at the bottom of the preference list. You can see the
preference list of your system from the file

/etc/fonts/font.conf

It's the section enclosed in <prefer>.

Before the mentioned change, Freefonts were placed over the CJK fonts.
That change about a year ago.

Simos