fonts package naming guideline

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 08:06:10 UTC 2008

Nicolas brought up the point recently in a font package review that we
should standardize the naming of our fonts packages to improve
consistency.  The proposal is to name all source packages in the form
"*-fonts".

If we agree on this then I think the Fonts Packaging guidelines should
be updated to explicitly reflect this policy.

Here is a list of our source packages that do not currently end in "-fonts":

These old fonts packages should be renamed I guess:
  fonts-ISO8859-2 -> ISO8859-2-fonts?
  fonts-KOI8-R -> KOI-R-fonts?

This should probably change:
  fonts-hebrew-fancy -> fancy-fonts? (from culmus.sf.net)

  thaifonts-scalable (upstream name) -> thai-scalable-fonts?

The following are already in the process of disappearing from rawhide:

  fonts-arabic - pending removal
  fonts-hebrew -recent devel dead.package
  fonts-japanese - renamed to japanese-bitmap-fonts today

A few others (*font*):
  efont-unicode-bdf -> unicode-bdf-fonts?  (maybe better to replace with
GNU Unifont?)
  freefont (maybe this too?)
  terminus-font -> terminus-fonts?

3, TeX fonts
Probably TeX fonts are outside this discussion?:

  (tetex-fonts-hebrew, tex-fonts-hebrew, tetex-eurofont,
tetex-font-cm-lgc, tetex-font-kerkis)

Did I miss any? :)

Jens