[Fwd: Re: the ivory tower and the bazaar]

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jul 21 09:16:14 UTC 2008

-------- Message transféré --------
De: Nicolas Mailhot
À: Gustavo Ferreira
Sujet: Re: the ivory tower and the bazaar
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:11:45 +0200

Le dimanche 20 juillet 2008 à 20:38 -0300, Gustavo Ferreira a écrit :

> i have yet to see one good, original, well-made typeface developed in
> the bazaar way. can you name one?

You assume I want original. While original is good it's very low in my
priorities.

Ivory tower design is very good at producing pretty fonts limited to
basic latin that are effectively unuseable in an internationalized
world. Well, I don't care about this kind of pureblood. I'll take a good
unexhalted workhorse over it any day (and that's a generalisation, not
every ivory tower font is so limited but most of them are).

Give me gcc's, not proprietary compilers that look great in benchmarks
but can only do what their original authors cared about.

Pretending fonts can not be produced collectively is pure ubris. Their
art is not more elevated than Renaissance paintings where offloading a
large part of the work to apprentices was common. It's not more elevated
than all the cathedrals that were produced by large teams over several
lifetimes. And local designers are better at designing their glyphs than
someone in an ivory tower the other side of the world anyway.

And yes open collective design is not there yet. But it's progressing
and I've no doubt he'll suprise a lot of people in a few years.

--
Nicolas Mailhot