Adobe FDK under wine? Or similar FOSS tool?

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 12:53:37 UTC 2008

On Sunday 20 July 2008, Vasile Gaburici wrote:
> Editing OpenType feature tables with fontforge is a big PITA. Adding
> a locl table to Linux Libertine, see
> [https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Tasks/Ro_fonts#Linux_Libertine],
> took me three hours (testing included). And that just for the regular
> font. Parts of the table are (or rather should be) common between
> files, but fontforge doesn't support that, so I have to start over
> for the bold and italic!

I guess you just need to be used to how FontForge handles OpenType? I
don't think it looks that hard to do. It used to be much harder as well
before George completely redid OpenType handling :-).

But true, you need to be familiar with lookup tables, while I guess you
just want to be able to select a glyph, and click some buttons saying:
I want feature "locl" for languages "latn{ROM}" and "latn{MOL}" and
substitute it with glyph X. And actually, it already works like that,
if you made the lookups and lookup subtables. It only makes sense to
put these together in tables like that. If you have a list of glyphs
you substitute in certain languages and suddenly think you need one
other language you don't have to change all previous lookups, just
change the language list in the data.

btw, there is a "Copy lookup data" entry in the FontForge "edit" menu
that could ease the pain having to redo everything for each font.

Greetings
Ben