Call for OpenType fonts! [Was: Re: Fwd: [Fwd: the ivory tower and the bazaar]]

Vasile Gaburici vgaburici at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 14:16:06 UTC 2008

Since we are debating the state of Fedora fonts, I'd also like to add
that Fedora should ship as many OpenType fonts as possible. Why?
Because it (finally!) includes a decent bundle of TeX (texlive), which
contains XeTeX -- a version of TeX that can use advanced OpenType
features directly. XeTeX is still a bit inferior to pdftex in some
respects (no microtypography), but is far easier to use. Yeah, OOo
should get OpenType support too, but I personally don't care much
about it.

FYI: Because Fedora up to release 8 kept including the obsolete tetex,
which I had to patch manually many times, I skipped all Fedoras
between 5 and 9! Anything in between would have been a downgrade for
me after I started manually adding up to date packages to tetex. And
no, I could not just add them locally because they conflicted with the
bundled packages in complex ways, so the old ones had to be deleted --
so no yum update tetex for me.