Proposal: reference locl feature file

Vasile Gaburici vgaburici at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 23:43:42 UTC 2008

It's surprisingly hard to find good information on how the locl
OpenType feature should be handled for various languages. I propose we
add a well commented reference fea file somewhere on the Fedora wiki.
It probably won't be possible to automatically import this reference
into every font without modification because glyphs may be missing in
some fonts etc., but it should still be useful enough to subset from.
Perhaps in the future
FontForge may be able to intelligently import the rules based on the
glyphs included in the font...

So far, I've been scraping for references, below are the ones I've
got. Please contribute the ones you know:

1) DejaVu's source. After the recent discussion on bug #455981, I know
DejaVu cares about languages Adobe hasn't even heard of.
2) Adam Twardoch's take on Latin scripts:
http://typophile.com/node/29469/168548#comment-168548
3) The Gyre font source:
http://www.tug.org/texlive/devsrc/Master/texmf-dist/doc/fonts/tex-gyre/qzcmi.fea
4) An informative, but not so coherent discussion here:
http://typophile.com/node/16705
5) The issue of double encoding explained:
http://groups.msn.com/FontLab/tipsandtricks.msnw?action=get_message&mview=1&ID_Message=6151