Are we really going to require fonts to be built from sources by Fedora packagers? [Was: Re: Suffix for "Old Standard" ?]

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jul 24 11:40:48 UTC 2008

Le Jeu 24 juillet 2008 11:56, Dave Crossland a écrit :

> 2008/7/24 Vasile Gaburici <vgaburici at gmail.com>:

>>> I think we'll try to bump the fontforge version in fedora-devel to
>>> the
>>> latest available upstream just before F10 beta. And then rebuild
>>> every
>>> font depending on it. This way Fedora 10 users will have a recent
>>> fontforge in-distro and we'll be sure all our fonts work with it.
>>> That's what we did in previous releases.
>
> This sounds okay to me, but what about fonts with sources that aren't
> in SFD?

Right now if a font has sources in a format that can not be processed
by FLOSS tools we use the prebuilt version.

Long term we'll probably have to require active font projects to
change their base format, or drop them for the distro (I don't see a
huge problem in shipping fonts no one updates in pre-built format.
That just means the first person that does a change will have to take
care of this problem).

> Nicolas, for some strange reason I'm not getting emails from you at
> all.

I happen to send mails through the French postal service smtp servers.
They have several millions of users. So every once in a while a
spammer gets through. For this reason, and since it's not a well-known
US brand, some neolithic blacklists regularly blackhole them (of
course they wouldn't even think to do the same to yahoo or gmail, even
after their capcha disaster).

You're probably behind a gateway that blindly trusts such a list. You
can see they do make it to Red Hat's listservers.

> Nor did I get Gustavo's recent emails, like the 'ivory tower'
> ones that also don't appear in
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-fonts-list/2008-July/thread.html
> for some reason..?

Some of those posts were not CCed to public lists, and I got tired of
forwarding them. I don't think anything earth-shattering was omitted.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot