TeX fonts, part one [Was: Re: [Fedora-packaging] Proposed amendment to general packaging guidelines: no bundling of fonts in other packages]

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Jul 25 19:50:51 UTC 2008

2008/7/25 Vasile Gaburici <vgaburici at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Nicolas Mailhot
> <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>> — We should not hide general-purpose fonts in app-specific directories.
>> TEX should use system fonts directly.
>
> XeTeX can do that. TeX probably NEVER will because that violates TDS.
> If you don't what that means, then don't take on the subject of TeX
> fonts.

I second the idea that TeX ought to be an exception to the guideline
"not hide general-purpose fonts in app-specific directories"; TeX
predates all other programs in a GNU/Linux system, and TeX users have
hardended expectations about how it works; if Fedora's TeX package
fiddles with things, that will be a loss for users.

(I'm still not getting Nicolas' emails :-(