freetype 2.3.6+ has significant improvements in hinting

Vasile Gaburici vgaburici at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 14:25:48 UTC 2008

I've been using a CVS snapshot of freetype 2.3.8 for a few days and I
have to say I'm impressed by the improvements in hinting, even when
it's just the auto-hinter. From the Changelog it seem that all the
hinting improvements occurred in 2.3.6, which is currently in rawhide.
There was improvement across the board: PS, CFF and TTF, but the CFF
hinting had significant portions rewritten, which should bode well
with the strategy to prefer OpenType CFF fonts.

I think that freetype 2.3.6 (at least) should be pushed to F9 updates
too, unless you want to list "better hinting" as a feature for F10 :p