TeXGyre fonts licensing concern

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Jul 30 22:07:50 UTC 2008

2008/7/30 Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com>:
>> 2008/7/30 Vasile Gaburici <vgaburici at gmail.com>:
>> > Isn't the user bound by most restrictive license in
>> > the package, that is pure GPL?
>
> Yes, that is true, but:
>
> A) The package is then distributable
> B) The only remaining issue is to sell URW on the font exception, which
> can be done at any time.

Ah yes okay, now I get it, when you said

"thus, we would not be bottlenecked trying to reach URW"

you didn't mean we don't have to contact URW to arrive at our
destination - we still do - just we aren't bottlenecked from
distributing the Gyre fonts.

Perhaps the Gyre project could release all the glyphs that are not
derived from the original GPL ones as a separate font package with the
GUST license?