can Libertine fonts be embedded in non-gpl application?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Sep 21 15:16:54 UTC 2009

> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 12:40 PM, <nicolas.mailhot at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well none of us are lawyers here, and you should not rely on anything
>> written on a public mailing list when there is a risk of a trial. And
>> when
>> the wording of a license is unclear, there is definitely one.
>>
>> If I had to embed a font in an application I certainly wouldn't start
>> with
>> a GPL font but look at Droid or another font with lax licensing (though
>> the licensing would need to be double-checked too).
>>

> I thought about Droid, but it talks about using OpenType features and I
> was planning on using freetype.  So, I'm open to using Droid, with its OFL
> license, but I'm not sure if it would render correctly using just
> freetype.

Any half-decent font will use opentype features nowadays, and you will
need a shaper (like pango-cairo) to render it correctly, freetype won't be
enough. That's the case for Droid, DejaVu, Libertine, Liberation, etc

Also Droid is not OFL, it uses the Apache 2 license

>> That, or ask the author of the font I selected for an explicit
>> authorization.
>>

> That's kind of what led me here.  AFAIK Redhat is the license holder for
> the font.

You're confusing Libertine with Liberation. Those are two different fonts,
with different upstreams, and different licensing

> I don't know who to contact at Redhat about this question.

For legal queries in a community/Fedora context, you need to ask Tom
Callaway who will relay wherever is appropriate

--
Nicolas Mailhot