Game Idea

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Mar 24 09:05:03 UTC 2008

Jacob Smith escribió:
> there are to many "quake" style and "doom" type of games for linux i
> think, i want to make a completely orignal game as kinda a tribute to
> Resident Evil, it will have game play from differnt types of games i
> like, Resident Evil, Parasite Eve, Gallerians and Vampire The
> Masqurade. I have a decent grasp of what i want to do but I lack the
> knowledge, skills to do it. I am not well versed in linux I do use it
> off and on along with Windows, I switch back alot due to the poor
> quality of Yahoo messenger (i like my yahoo radio and able to use
> webcam with my friends) and the selection of games. everyone linux
> user must admit windows does have better games currently but i know
> alot of ports by game companys have been coming to linux and games
> that have always supported them like ID software and there Doom Games,
> Never winter nights, the qaukes but they aernt as good as the windows
> versions. linux uses opengl but do the  so many differnt progarm langs
> it can use and the lack of "real hd audio" windows remains the better
> for games. but I want to create a true high visual quality game for
> linux using opengl 1.5 or 2.0 i havent really decided which wuold be
> better i know lots of people who use linux due so on older machines. i
> was also thinking of 'locking' the res like old games did in the mid
> 90s so they could opitmize the graphics/speed better when you have
> tons of opitions for color/detail/rez  you loose alot of opitimizes
> you can do. so i'm looking for some people to help bounce ideas on and
> who can program to help out while i try and decide which program lang
> i wanna learn and start to work on it.
>
> *//*

I don't thin I follow you completely here... The main thing is that you
have a good idea of what you want. I think that you should start by
having your project well defined, preferably named, and it would be
better to open a project in sourceforge or the like. Also it would be a
good idea to propose your project in the forums and see if you could
recruit programmers and artists there. Just so you have a good guide on
what your general idea might be, it would be a good idea to have all
your project written down and outlined, from story, things you'd like to
see, etc.

I don't know what do you mean by the whole argument about Windows Vs
Linux gaming. The API difference is rather self explainatory, but the
whole deal with "HD" audio, first define what do yo mean by that? Do you
mean "multichannel" audio? Of course you have multichannel audio, do you
mean hardware accelerated audio? Well, even Vista lost that. Sure is no
excuse, but as far as I know there might be some hardware accelerated
OpenAL coming down the road.

As far as the style, I like the idea of locking the resolution to make
way for optimizations, however you should think of about two
resolutions, one for normal 4:3 aspect ratio and one for widescreen
aspect ratio (1.6), as for the API, maybe go with OpenGL 2.0 with a
fallback, but the actual programmers could shine a light that and its
feasibility.