[Fedora-haskell-list] Revised Haskell Guidelines 2008.08.13

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Wed Aug 13 15:15:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Yaakov Nemoy <loupgaroublond at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've revised the guidelines once again to cover the issues brought up
> when I brought them before the packaging committee.

Thanks, Yaakov.

> * how do runtime requirements work, vis a vis build time, etc...
> ** GHC apparently uses static linking for haskell libraries and
> dynamic for C libraries.
> *** This is quite similar to OCaml

Right. At some point in the next year or so, GHC should be able to
generate shared libraries, so the AutoReqProv mechanism will then
work.

> * this file detection stuff is scary
> ** I've put it into a series of macros and documented it

The reason that the file detection code is complicated is that GHC
emits a number of .o and .a files. These change depending on the
compilation options used. The files follow a consistent naming
convention, so it is far easier and more reliable to gather them up
using a find script than to enumerate all of the possibilities by
hand.

I'm pleased with the current state of the guidelines. Thanks for
working on this!