[Fedora-haskell-list] Re: Test package - Cabal-1.4.0.2 (using cabal_* macros). was: Re: [Fedora-packaging] Revised Haskell Guidelines 2008.08.13

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 02:25:32 UTC 2008

2008/8/28 Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat.com>:
> Yaakov Nemoy さんは書きました:
>> If we do this, then each 'library' package is going to have to support
>> every single compiler we have.
>
> No they don't have to but they can if they want. :)

It would be messy.

>> I would rather have one SRPM per library per compiler.
>
> I thought we proposed "haskell-%pkg_name" exactly for this?

Nope, that's why it's %haskell_compiler-%pkg_name exactly for this.
Otherwise, we can only support one compiler without a lot of weird
tricks.

(Granted, we could just include multiple macros for multiple compilers
in a single spec file, and then build and publish a single RPM for
each library that supports multiple compilers.  I think this would
lead to alot of bloat.  Alternatively, we could have a single spec
file per library, and have it generate multiple subpackages, one for
each compiler.  I would rather have one spec per compiler per
library.)

>> Calling runhaskell will only call the default
>> compiler, which in Fedora's case is GHC.
>
> Well it depends what you have installed (it is handled by alternatives).
>  But as I say it should not matter what runtime is used to run Setup.hs?

AFAIK, the run time you use to run Setup.hs is the runtime that the
library is compiled against.  Namely, runhaskell that runs runghc
would create a package for GHC.

-Yaakov