[Fedora-haskell-list] Mass closure of submissions?

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Wed Jun 18 05:49:16 UTC 2008

Hi Miles,

Thanks for raising this.  I am in communicating with Rajesh offline to
try to make things clearer.

> * New submitter created BZ's for packages in good faith but without
> being aware of the (currently non-existent?) Haskell packaging
> guidelines.

Yes, well-intended I know.  I hope he may still pick up some of them
again starting with a single package first though.

> * Various borderline rude comments were made.

I agree the communication could have been better though he may not be
following comments in bz or the ml's closely.

> * The BZ's were closed with extrordinary haste without giving the
> submitter a great deal of time to respond (I mean, maybe he's been
> away on holiday for the last few days?).

I agree I would have preferred to keep them open a little longer.  Not
sure how many packages were submitted.  I think Tibbs marked them not
ready which would have been sufficient for now probably IMHO, but I
think Bryan had concerns about the quality of the packaging and choice
of libs.

> Now, perhaps that's not how it really was, but I don't feel
> particularly motivated to do work on any packages myself unless I'm
> reasonably confident that I won't be on the receiving end of similar
> (apparently) high-handed treatment.

I am sure if you follow the processes correctly you will not have many
problems.  Feel free to ask here if you have any doubts about what you
want to package, etc.

> * What in particular that guy did wrong.

No response in bz and not following submission process...

> * What are the most important things for a package submitter to do to
> ensure a successful outcome.

If you follow the processes outlined on the wiki you can't go too wrong.
   :)  The coming Haskell Packaging Guidelines should help too: I hope
we cam get them submitted soon so we can avoid further ambiguities like
this.

Thanks, Jens