[Fedora-haskell-list] Mass closure of submissions?

Miles Sabin miles at milessabin.com
Wed Jun 18 07:26:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 1:11 AM, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at serpentine.com> wrote:
> Most certainly. Someone showed up from nowhere and used a Perl script
> to generate spec files for 40 packages, which he then submitted en
> masse. I can certainly believe that the submissions were in good
> faith, but the way the submitter went about things was not okay.
>
> Volunteering is a two-way thing: it is important to treat newcomers
> with respect and patience as they learn the ropes, provided they
> display a basic modicum of clue in the first place. I was quite
> annoyed to have my time wasted by a deluge of autogenerated rubbish.

Auto-generation isn't a bad thing per-se, surely? Generating RPMs from
cabalized packages ought to be relatively straightforward as your own
cabal-rpm shows. If there was something concretely wrong with the
generated packages that would be one thing, which could presumably be
fixed relatively easily by improvements to the script used to create
them.

I hadn't realized there were as many as 40 subitted tho'. That makes a
difference, certainly ... I agree with your comment that it would been
better if he'd submitted one and started a discussion about his script
here.

Cheers,

Miles