[Fedora-haskell-list] GHC and Haskell Platform

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri May 8 04:40:53 UTC 2009

----- "Bryan O'Sullivan" <bos at serpentine.com> wrote:
> Now that the first Haskell Platform release is out, we'll have to retool our Haskell packaging to handle it. Fun! :-\
:
> The thing that's tricky is that the Platform is a combination of libraries and tools, combining the old "extralibs" GHC tarball with several libraries and tools that we already package.

Yep, I think we can do it all with a haskell-platform package that requires all the right bits.  For the first cut we can do the deps by hand, but we really need cabal2spec to calculate the deps and versions for us automatically or it will be too error prone in the long run.

I may try to take an initial stab at it over the weekend.

The alternative might still be just to ship the whole haskell-platform tarball and deprecate the packages that it obsoletes, though it is a bit wasteful in terms of rebuilds and updates though less burden to maintain perhaps.

Do we still really need still ghc-extralibs?  I thought the platform more or less replaces that.  Perhaps any necessary missing packages could just be separated into new packages on a needed basis.

Jens