[Fedora-i18n-list] Unable to input Japanese on stock FC2 intall: Can't add "Input Method Switcher"

David Evans fedora at fugutabetai.com
Mon May 24 02:01:10 UTC 2004

Hello Lawrence,

  Thank you for the response.  Indeed, the applet *is* running:

/usr/libexec/gnome-im-switcher-applet
--oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_imswitcher_Factory --oaf-ior-fd=37

  Starting gedit with GTK_IM_MODULE=iiim makes the IM switcher module
appear, and work as expected.  Unfortunately, the main application that
I want to use Japanese input with is a Java application - it doesn't
look like Java (under the 1.5.0 beta runtime at least) supports iiim as
an input method.  Both of the following failed:

GTK_IM_MODULE=iiim /usr/java/j2sdk1.5.0/jre/bin/javaws
/home/devans/.java/deployment/cache/javaws/http/Dfugutabetai.com/P80/DMsoftware/DMGMAO/DMcode/DMbug/AMGMAO.jnlp

LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=iiim"
/usr/java/j2sdk1.5.0/jre/bin/javaws
/home/devans/.java/deployment/cache/javaws/http/Dfugutabetai.com/P80/DMsoftware/DMGMAO/DMcode/DMbug/AMGMAO.jnlp

however, if I manually start up kinput2, the following works:

LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2"
/usr/java/j2sdk1.5.0/jre/bin/javaws
/home/devans/.java/deployment/cache/javaws/http/Dfugutabetai.com/P80/DMsoftware/DMGMAO/DMcode/DMbug/AMGMAO.jnlp

I really don't like using kinput2 though - iiim is much nicer.  I
actually don't know too much about internationalization and linux (just
installed FC2 last week, and that is about the experience I have with
either of them) although I have tried to read up on things.  It looks
like FC2 starts up canna and FreeWnn, which is what kinput2 is using via
XIM, which Java supports.

Is it possible to get iiim working with Java, or is that a Java issue?
If it isn't possible, is there a better conversion engine / backend
combo I can use with Java that at least pops up a graphical list like
iiim for choices?  Should I be asking these questions somewhere else?

Thanks in advance, and I'm glad to see that the IM Switcher not
appearing in en_US environments bug will be fixed soon.

dave