[Fedora-i18n-list] Unable to input Japanese on stock FC2 intall: Can't add "Input Method Switcher"

David Evans fedora at fugutabetai.com
Wed May 26 01:08:59 UTC 2004

Akira TAGOH wrote:

>DE>   Starting gedit with GTK_IM_MODULE=iiim makes the IM switcher module
>DE> appear, and work as expected.  Unfortunately, the main application that
>DE> I want to use Japanese input with is a Java application - it doesn't
>DE> look like Java (under the 1.5.0 beta runtime at least) supports iiim as
>DE> an input method.  Both of the following failed:
>
>Well, GTK_IM_MODULE environment is used for gtk2
>applications *only*. and right now gimlet (which you saw on the
>panel) works for it right now. if you want to use IIIMF for
>java, you have two way to use it.
>
>1) java should supports XIM. so you can use IIIMF with
>   XMODIFIERS=@im=htt. please make sure if httx is
>   running. httx is a bridge program between XIM and
>   IIIMF. you can use IIIMF even if the applications is not
>   gtk2 applications and the applications supports XIM.

Hello Akira, thank you for your help.  I have made sure that httx is
running (which starts htt_xbe - I don't know what that is) and started
my Java program with LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 (or LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8) and
XMODIFIERS=@im=htt but Java will not recognize the input method.
Running in a Japanese session, it does recognize it just fine though, so
for now I will just log into a Japanese session.  I would like to know
why it won't work in an English environment though.  If I am running
httx, htt_xbe, cannaserver, htt, and have LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 and
XMODIFIER=@im=htt Java should allow for Japanese input using htt, right?

>2) if you can modify your java source code, you can use
>   iiimjcf to connect to IIIMF directly.

Could you point me to more information about this?  I wrote the program
I'm using, so if I can modify it to interact better with the IME I would
like to do so (hopefully to support in-line editing, etc.)  The only
information I could find is the main page at:
http://www.openi18n.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=30&page=1
- but I couldn't find any information on an API, any Java libraries I
could include with my code to bind to, etc.

Thanks in advance,

dave